Skip to main content

How to be stuck in your rut like Jesus

February 8, 2015
5 Epiphany
Mark 1:29-39

So it turns out that Jesus and I have the same problem with prayer.
I’ve been working on creating a more consistent morning practice of spending time with God.  Like many of you, I’m guessing, sometimes I feel stuck in the rut of my daily routine.  Every day making breakfast, overseeing lunch creation and outfit choices, reminding kids to brush teeth and turn in homework, schlepping everyone to school, buckling down to work and in what feels like the blink of an eye leaving work to begin the afternoon routine of picking kids up from school, trying to fit in some fun time with them while doing house chores, overseeing playdates and piano practicing and homework, schlepping to practices and Boy Scouts, cooking dinner, reading nighttime books, getting kids to bed, attending whatever meeting I have that night.  It’s all good and it’s all important, but it just doesn’t leave a lot of space.  So I’ve been hoping that starting out the day with some quiet time with God might help me to live a little more patiently and kindly the rest of the time.
I’ve been getting up early and heading downstairs to find a quiet place.  I tiptoe downstairs in the dark, doing my best not to disturb the three sleeping munchkins whose rooms I slip past.  I purposefully sit in a corner of the house that isn’t under their rooms so any creaking won’t wake them.  And I settle in.  Sometimes I journal, sometimes I draw, sometimes I just try to sit in silence, sometimes I have coffee with Jesus.
And that works every so often.  But more often, as I’m guessing many of you can also relate, one of the kids wakes up despite my best efforts and runs down to join me.  Or stands over my shoulder and asks questions about my “art project” or what I’m writing in my journal.  Or needs help with breakfast or homework.  Or Holden comes down earlier than I expect and makes coffee and wants to chat.  There is almost always something that feels like an abrupt and premature ending to my prayer time.  Almost always, I am left feeling unfinished.  I end up a little edgy and impatient and not a particularly great model for my family of the benefits of regular prayer time.  I’ve been feeling like I need Virginia Woolf to come and find me a Room of My Own.
Now, often I’ll bring into my morning time whatever scripture I’m working with for a sermon in the coming week or two.  So I was very pleased with myself to discover that Jesus in our Gospel story for this morning is having the very same dilemma I’ve been having with prayer.  We see here sort of a typical-day-in-the-life of Jesus.  He started in the synagogue, then headed to the home of his disciples, where he healed and taught and was surrounded by a whole city’s worth of searching and hurting souls.  He slept briefly and then, trying to find a moment to himself, got up before anyone else woke to sneak off and pray.  It is still very dark and he steals off to a remote location.  What more could the poor man do to get some time and space for himself?  But before he can even settle in, here come his disciples to hunt him down and push him along towards another busy day with him preaching and healing and schlepping throughout Galilee.  He can’t catch a break.
I saw myself in that.  Trying to find a few minutes in a remote location in the dark before starting off the day.  Trying to hold off the barrage of tasks and responsibilities for just a little longer.
But almost as soon as I started comparing myself sympathetically with Jesus, I started to realize that, truth be told, I could actually relate more closely to the disciples.  Like me, the disciples had trouble quieting down into silence, demanded immediate results, and were too fidgety or busy with their own agendas to wait and watch while the mystery unfolded around them.  They had trouble being content just with the presence of Jesus among them in their everyday lives.
And even surrounded by his distracted and busy disciples, look how Jesus responds.  Rather than feeling put-upon and sorry for himself (like I have been - sorry family!), Jesus just gets up and returns to his teaching and preaching.  Jesus doesn’t see the disciples as intrusions.  He seems to be entirely refreshed by his prayer time and ready to begin again.  He seems to exude assurance that God is just as surely present in and with and through him out in the world as God is in the contemplative and intimate moments of prayer.
And that seems like a way of living that could transform everything.  But I’m not sure I could say I’d experienced it much other than in small fragments until last Tuesday.  Last Tuesday was a snow day and school was cancelled.  So I called a friend of mine who was very pregnant and also recovering from the flu to see if I could take her kids and give her a little rest time.  And learned that she was in labor!  This was the day the long-awaited baby would arrive. And from that moment until about 8 hours later when I learned that her son had been born, she was in my mind and in my heart in a very tangible way.  As I took my kids sledding I thought of her.  As we ice-skated I thought of her.  As I prepared two dinners so I could set aside an extra meal for her family I thought of her.  It was in the background of my whole day.  When I got the text that her baby had arrived and everyone was doing well, it was such a gift - such an answer to prayer - my heart overflowed with joy.  
Just down the street was this beautiful new creation.  Before this moment, he had been (to me) more of an idea.  A growing presence with his mother.  Something-to-be in the future.  Now he was present - moving, hiccuping, eating, waving his little arms.  Suddenly he was part of a family - someone that would forever after always be a critical part of how each one of them sees themselves.  What an incredible day’s work!  
In the aftermath of that day, and in conjunction with this story about Jesus interrupted in prayer yet continuing his ministry so obviously full of God, I wonder how I could live more of my life that way.  How can I keep my family in my thoughts and prayers more deliberately while they are at school or at work?  How can I go about my tasks at home - cooking, laundry, schlepping - as ministry rather than chore?  How can my parenting and marriage become more connected to my prayer life?  How can I see my work here at St. Aidan’s - not just the obvious like sermon-writing and pastoral care - but the administrative stuff and all my daily interactions as an offering to the world?  Instead of unconsciously sorting my life into boxes labeled “mundane” and “holy”, how can all of these pieces become part of my life with God?  Maybe that would change not just how I think about the pieces of my life, but how others experience them too?  
I’m a work in progress.  We all are.  Every day, each one of us is birthing new creations that we can dedicate to God.  And each day we are taking care of God’s creations that already exist.  Each day is an opportunity to transform the pieces of our lives.

I wonder if there is a time when you were able to see something your were you were doing in your day-to-day life as prayer or as a creative offering to God?  Or maybe, is there a piece of your life that you wish you could transform?  Amen.

Comments

  1. I love this reflection on prayer and am so honored to have our story fit into yours. It's a blessing to know you and to be influenced by your perspectives on spirituality. --Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gospel as Stand-Up Comedy

April 8, 2018 Easter 2 John 20:19-31 Today in the church world is often called Low Sunday because of the generally low attendance.  After all, everyone came last week and heard the biggest story of all! So church can be crossed off the to-do list for a while. Have you heard the joke about the man who came out of church on Easter and the minister pulled him aside and said, "You need to join the Army of the Lord!" The man replied, "I'm already in the Army of the Lord."  The minister questioned, “Then how come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" The man whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."   I recently heard a name for today that I much prefer to Low Sunday - Holy Humor Sunday.  Apparently, the early church had a tradition of observing the week following Easter Sunday as "days of joy and laughter" with parties and picnics to celebrate Jesus' resurrection.  And so there is a (small but grow

Shining Like the Sun

Last Epiphany Exodus 34:29-35; Luke 9:28-36 My youngest daughter, Maya, will turn 9 years old on Tuesday.  Which makes me feel a bit nostalgic. Just yesterday she was my baby, happily toddling after her older brother and sister.  A naturally joyful person, she was just as excited about a trip to the grocery store as a trip to the zoo, so she transformed our boring chores into adventures just by her presence.  And now she is this big kid -- a total extrovert who loves making slime and turning cartwheels. Sometimes Maya’s birthday is just a regular day.  Every once in a while it falls on Ash Wednesday (which makes celebrating a little hard).  This year, it’s on Shrove Tuesday, which is perfect for her! Because Maya is our pancake fairy. In our house, whenever we find ourselves with a free Saturday morning, Maya and I make pancakes.  We work side by side, laughing and sniffing and tasting -- and sometimes pretending we are competing on a Chopped championship.  Often there is

Is Jesus passing through our midst? (4 Epiphany Sermon)

Luke 4:21-30 “But passing through the midst of them he went away.” At first glance, this last line from this morning’s Gospel seemed like a perfect metaphor for this season of Epiphany. Jesus passes through the midst of the crowd. Which is, in a way, what Epiphany is all about – God making God’s self known in our midst, our learning to recognize God all around us. The problem of course, which is so often the problem with pieces of scripture that at first seem very promising, is that that isn’t all. The context isn’t the greatest – the crowd that Jesus is passing through the midst of just happens to be an angry, unruly, blood-thirsty mob. And there’s the small problem of the few words tacked on to the end of the hopeful part about passing through their midst – after passing through, “he went away.” I’d much prefer Jesus to have passed through their midst and then have them realize their error; or maybe Jesus could pass through their midst and they finally understand exactly who it w