Skip to main content

Blowin' in the Wind


February 25
2 Lent
Mark 8:31-38

Most years, I have trouble with this season of Lent — with its often too-heavy (for my taste) emphasis on sin and penitence, and its negative take on our mortality, and its penchant for minor key dirge-y hymns, and its stories about humanity at its violent and hateful worst, and its focus on Jesus going to his death instead of his incarnation or resurrection.  I often find myself longing to edit these things out.  To take out some of the darkness and emphasize the light.
But this year, Lent actually did feel lighter to me at the start.
For Lent this year, I signed up for a six-week Ignatian retreat through a church in Georgetown.  The retreat started the Sunday before Lent began with a beautiful candlelit gathering of all the people making the retreat.  We shared where we were and what we were hoping for and were led on a beautiful scripture meditation before being sent back into the world.  From then on, every week I would meet with a spiritual director named Bill who assigns me scripture passages to pray with each day.  Each week has a theme of some sort.  And Week 1 was great - it was all about God’s love.  I had no trouble reading my assigned passages and spending time imagining myself into them and envisioning myself surrounded by God’s love.  That time of rest and assurance was just what I needed after what had been a frustrating time of recovering from my broken arm.
And I guess because I’d been basking in that loving presence of God, Ash Wednesday felt different to me this year.  Rather than feeling weighted down by the call to a holy Lent, I heard a gracious invitation.  As I sat in my chair listening to John preach that night, a vision formed in my head.  I saw all of us as mounds of ash dust.  And the breath of God was gently blowing the layers of dust away.  I couldn't see it yet, but I knew that that breath would eventually reveal our gleaming true cores under the ash.  We were all in the process of transformation.
It was a great start to Lent.  
But it only took a week to realize that even though that vision had felt like a welcoming invitation, the process of ash removal itself could be very uncomfortable.
When I met with Bill the second time, we talked about how everything had gone and he asked if I was ready to move on to the next theme or would I rather remain in God’s love another week.  I am very much a person who likes to make progress, plus clearly I had this whole love of God thing down, so I said I was ready to move on.  So onto Week 2 we went.
Now the theme was indifference.  Bill described it as spiritual freedom - not being attached to our desires  I didn't like the theme from the start, and none of the assigned readings sat well with me.  They focused on not worrying and being content no matter the circumstances.  Things that are definitely not always my forte and, in fact, felt like a rebuke after all the angst I’ve experienced this past month.  I was confronted by all the pieces of life I grasp too tightly to - like my expectation of physical health and strength, and my ability to be in control of my body, and my desire to accomplish things.  And I could see the weight of all my worries that kept me from finding joy and peace in the present moment.
Then this week’s theme has been sin.  And I keep coming face-to-face with both my personal failings and my role in the systems of power and inequality in the world of which I am very much a part.
After all the discomfort and wrestling, I told Bill I was sorry I hadn't just stuck with the love theme because this indifference and sin stuff was kicking my butt.  Bill laughed and said that sometimes God works that way too.
Sometimes God gently blows away a layer of ash to get us closer to that gleaming core.  And sometimes it takes a windstorm for that ash to sift through our clenched fists.
I think Peter encounters the windstorm version in our Gospel story for today.
The disciples have been with Jesus now for several years.  They’ve known Jesus to be a caring and wise teacher, a healer, an opener of possibilities, a doer of miracles, a drawer of crowds.  But now Jesus is talking about suffering and rejection; now he’s predicting his death.  This isn't what Peter left everything to follow.  He was expecting kingship and victory!  A delivery from Roman oppression!  A suffering messiah?! Unthinkable.  Peter (being Peter) wastes no time in telling Jesus exactly what he thinks.  We aren't told, but I imagine it went something like this: “Jesus, enough already with all the negativity and death stuff!  Show us how we’re going to win!”
I’m guessing most of us aren't big fans of the crucified Christ piece either.  We prefer comfort to suffering, glory to the cross, acclaim to rejection, Easter to Good Friday.  We want a God who shields us from vulnerability and promises us prosperity and good health and security.  We’d really prefer a painless shortcut to the Kingdom, thank you very much.
But that’s not what Jesus offers. In Jesus, God shows up where we least expect — as a homeless baby, as an exile and an immigrant, as an outcast and a criminal.  Jesus points to a God who meets us in vulnerability, suffering, loss, and even death.  His ways are not our ways, but he invites us to follow him anyway.  
Jesus is constantly inviting people to follow him.  And just like the ash is sometimes blown gently and sometimes it takes a windstorm, at times the call to follow Jesus sounds like a gentle invitation and at times it feels like a dismal warning.  
I’d say our reading today falls very much in the second category.  “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”  Not much by way of a marketing slogan.  I much prefer: “Follow me and I will make you fishers of people!” and “Come all you who are heavy burdened and I will give you rest!”
The words we hear today from Jesus are unsettling.  Carry your cross. Lose your life in order to find it.  These words feel like a violent wind blowing against our desire to cling tightly to whatever the ash is that obscures the gleaming core of the person God has called us to be.
In this world where the shiny marketing slogans ignore reality and tempt us to be a lesser version of ourselves, Jesus’ call to transformation is just the opposite.  The world calls us to be more powerful, better looking, skinnier, stronger, richer, more successful.  Today Jesus calls us to hold all that lightly — to be willing to lose it all on the path to transformation.  The path we are invited to walk may be rocky and painful and demanding.  It may call us in directions we would never choose for ourselves.  It may require us to let go of our certainties about God, or our expectations of how life is supposed to go, or our hardness of heart in our relationships, or our worries about the future, or our guilt about the past.  But the path Jesus asks us to follow transforms us slowly but surely into our true, gleaming, God-created and God-beloved core.  This path leads to Easter.  And it definitely leads us home.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gospel as Stand-Up Comedy

April 8, 2018 Easter 2 John 20:19-31 Today in the church world is often called Low Sunday because of the generally low attendance.  After all, everyone came last week and heard the biggest story of all! So church can be crossed off the to-do list for a while. Have you heard the joke about the man who came out of church on Easter and the minister pulled him aside and said, "You need to join the Army of the Lord!" The man replied, "I'm already in the Army of the Lord."  The minister questioned, “Then how come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" The man whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."   I recently heard a name for today that I much prefer to Low Sunday - Holy Humor Sunday.  Apparently, the early church had a tradition of observing the week following Easter Sunday as "days of joy and laughter" with parties and picnics to celebrate Jesus' resurrection.  And so there is a (small but grow

Shining Like the Sun

Last Epiphany Exodus 34:29-35; Luke 9:28-36 My youngest daughter, Maya, will turn 9 years old on Tuesday.  Which makes me feel a bit nostalgic. Just yesterday she was my baby, happily toddling after her older brother and sister.  A naturally joyful person, she was just as excited about a trip to the grocery store as a trip to the zoo, so she transformed our boring chores into adventures just by her presence.  And now she is this big kid -- a total extrovert who loves making slime and turning cartwheels. Sometimes Maya’s birthday is just a regular day.  Every once in a while it falls on Ash Wednesday (which makes celebrating a little hard).  This year, it’s on Shrove Tuesday, which is perfect for her! Because Maya is our pancake fairy. In our house, whenever we find ourselves with a free Saturday morning, Maya and I make pancakes.  We work side by side, laughing and sniffing and tasting -- and sometimes pretending we are competing on a Chopped championship.  Often there is

Is Jesus passing through our midst? (4 Epiphany Sermon)

Luke 4:21-30 “But passing through the midst of them he went away.” At first glance, this last line from this morning’s Gospel seemed like a perfect metaphor for this season of Epiphany. Jesus passes through the midst of the crowd. Which is, in a way, what Epiphany is all about – God making God’s self known in our midst, our learning to recognize God all around us. The problem of course, which is so often the problem with pieces of scripture that at first seem very promising, is that that isn’t all. The context isn’t the greatest – the crowd that Jesus is passing through the midst of just happens to be an angry, unruly, blood-thirsty mob. And there’s the small problem of the few words tacked on to the end of the hopeful part about passing through their midst – after passing through, “he went away.” I’d much prefer Jesus to have passed through their midst and then have them realize their error; or maybe Jesus could pass through their midst and they finally understand exactly who it w