Skip to main content

Guilty Consciences, Legos, and Grace-filled Relationships


February 16, 2014 (Celtic service)
Matthew 5:21-37

This is a truly dreadful Gospel.  It’s one of those that I cringe as I read.  When I saw my husband after Church this morning he said that reading made him never want to go to Church again.  This morning John preached on another reading entirely, but felt like he had to address this one at least briefly since it’s so awful.  John’s take on it was that Jesus was spreading the blame around, enlarging the category of people to include all of us, so that all of us would see that we are in need of God’s grace.  That helps a little.
There is a tiny piece of this reading, though, that rang uncomfortably true for me as I read it this morning.  That part about how we treat our brothers and our sisters.  The warning against holding grudges against them and stopping what we are doing (even if it means leaving Church!) to go be reconciled with them if they have something against us.
I can share the reason for my discomfort tonight because my son isn’t here.  My Lego-loving 7 year old came home from a play date at a friend’s house a few days ago and I could sense somehow a glimmer or a guilty conscience.  It turned out that he had come home with his friend’s Gold Ninja Lego minifigure.  He had trouble admitting it, trouble taking the blame for it, trouble telling me the truth, but lots of conversation and tears, it finally came out.  He knew the Gold Ninja had to go back; he didn’t want to look at the thing, much less play with it.  But he also didn’t want his friend to know he’d taken it.  His idea was to mail it back anonymously.  Of course, as a parent, this was a teaching moment, however painful.  I explained to him that he had done something wrong, and that we all do things that are wrong sometimes, and the most important thing now was what he did next.  Now he had the chance to fix it, to tell the truth, and to be a good friend, by not only returning the Gold Ninja but also apologizing to his friend.  My son worried.  He worried that his friend would be mad.  He worried that he wouldn’t want to play again.  He worried that maybe he’d somehow want to get him back.  And I have to admit that I worried too.  What if his friend’s mother decided she didn’t want her son hanging out with my budding hooligan?  What if she saw something in my parenting that had led to this?  But my son and I sat down and he tearfully wrote a note.  “Dear [Friend], I am so sorry that I took this.  Please forgive me.”  I actually put off delivering it for a couple days because it felt so uncomfortable, but finally after reading this Gospel in Church this morning I knew it was past time.  I delivered the note to my son's friend and spoke with his mom.  I didn’t make my son come with me because he was so sad; I decided if it happened again that would be the next step.  But as it turned out, I wish he had come with me because there was so much grace in that meeting.  The friend was thrilled to get a letter from his buddy, and excited to get the Gold Ninja (which I don’t think he’d even missed).  And the other mom was full of understanding and good humor.
So much grace all around.  The weight lifted from my son, and from me.  A very real and good conversation between two moms that makes room for growth in our friendship.  A deepening understanding of parenthood for me, and, hopefully, of truth-telling and conscience-building for my son.
It seems like it is that sort of deepening and growth that community make possible. 
This morning I caught part of Krista Tippett’s interview on NPR with at artist about a new exhibit at the Minneapolis Museum of Art called “Sacred.”  They were talking about that sense in both a museum and a church of being in the presence of beauty and goodness and peace – that feeling of awe and wonder of something bigger than ourselves.  And about how, both in a museum and in a church, we are somehow alone with the Sacred, yet also are together in our experience.  A community is built.  Krista asked her guest what she thought was the most important question of our time and her answer was “How do we live together?”
When we are here, in Church, we are in some sense having our own spiritual experiences.  But we are also a community.  We worship and pray and eat bread and wine together, and the candles we light add to the light from the candles other people light, each one of our voices adds to the beauty of the songs we sing, the piece of bread we swallow comes from a larger loaf.  And in what we do in here, we are just a tiny fraction of the much bigger Body of Christ; all that we do in here points to what we do out there.  Our love of God and neighbor in here strengthens us for to continue that love when we step outside these doors and aren’t surrounded by prayerful silence and the warm glow of candles.
I wonder if there are people in your life that you are holding anger towards or who might be holding something against you?  Are there places, big or small, that need reconciling?   How can the love God has for you, and the love you have for God, flow over into some relationship in your life that could use a little grace?   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gospel as Stand-Up Comedy

April 8, 2018 Easter 2 John 20:19-31 Today in the church world is often called Low Sunday because of the generally low attendance.  After all, everyone came last week and heard the biggest story of all! So church can be crossed off the to-do list for a while. Have you heard the joke about the man who came out of church on Easter and the minister pulled him aside and said, "You need to join the Army of the Lord!" The man replied, "I'm already in the Army of the Lord."  The minister questioned, “Then how come I don't see you except at Christmas and Easter?" The man whispered back, "I'm in the secret service."   I recently heard a name for today that I much prefer to Low Sunday - Holy Humor Sunday.  Apparently, the early church had a tradition of observing the week following Easter Sunday as "days of joy and laughter" with parties and picnics to celebrate Jesus' resurrection.  And so there is a (small but grow

Shining Like the Sun

Last Epiphany Exodus 34:29-35; Luke 9:28-36 My youngest daughter, Maya, will turn 9 years old on Tuesday.  Which makes me feel a bit nostalgic. Just yesterday she was my baby, happily toddling after her older brother and sister.  A naturally joyful person, she was just as excited about a trip to the grocery store as a trip to the zoo, so she transformed our boring chores into adventures just by her presence.  And now she is this big kid -- a total extrovert who loves making slime and turning cartwheels. Sometimes Maya’s birthday is just a regular day.  Every once in a while it falls on Ash Wednesday (which makes celebrating a little hard).  This year, it’s on Shrove Tuesday, which is perfect for her! Because Maya is our pancake fairy. In our house, whenever we find ourselves with a free Saturday morning, Maya and I make pancakes.  We work side by side, laughing and sniffing and tasting -- and sometimes pretending we are competing on a Chopped championship.  Often there is

Is Jesus passing through our midst? (4 Epiphany Sermon)

Luke 4:21-30 “But passing through the midst of them he went away.” At first glance, this last line from this morning’s Gospel seemed like a perfect metaphor for this season of Epiphany. Jesus passes through the midst of the crowd. Which is, in a way, what Epiphany is all about – God making God’s self known in our midst, our learning to recognize God all around us. The problem of course, which is so often the problem with pieces of scripture that at first seem very promising, is that that isn’t all. The context isn’t the greatest – the crowd that Jesus is passing through the midst of just happens to be an angry, unruly, blood-thirsty mob. And there’s the small problem of the few words tacked on to the end of the hopeful part about passing through their midst – after passing through, “he went away.” I’d much prefer Jesus to have passed through their midst and then have them realize their error; or maybe Jesus could pass through their midst and they finally understand exactly who it w